So I’m guessing you all know what cosplay is, seeing as it’s been mentioned previously and is a huge part of nerdy convention culture. Regardless, here’s a super fast vocabulary lesson.
- Cosplay is when people dress up as fictional characters from anything–a TV show, movies, books, comics, podcasts, video games, whatever.
- Crossplay is when someone dresses up as a character that is not their own gender. (Ex: a girl dressing up as Castiel from Supernatural.)
- Genderbending is when someone dresses up as a character, but makes the character an alternate gender from what it is in canon. So if you’re a girl cosplaying the doctor, you can throw a skirt on along with your fez and bowtie and make it gender bent! (Recently the Tumblr Social Justice Warriors have taken genderbending into their clutches, saying that it is against people who identify as nonbinary genders in that it is claiming that there are only two genders–male and female. I would love to make a long post telling these Tumblr Social Justice Warriors to stop screaming about how offensive everything is and to stop shitting all over things that people do for fun that don’t hurt anyone. But, alas, that is not what this blog is about. Unfortunately.)
- An OC is an original character made up by someone. You can throw on a wig and a purple dress and claim to be an OC. These are more for fun than anything else.
- A furry is a person who dresses up in an animal mascot type costume. Usually it’s brightly colored. These are mostly at anime conventions and I have a strange sort of respect for people who have the courage/money/heat resistance walk around in public in thousand dollar, full body, bright blue bear costumes when it’s ninety degrees out. A really, really strange sort of respect.
I’m sure there are others I could go over, but those are the most basic ones I can think of. Obviously, feel free to ask questions or leave comments or just say hello.